As Hurricane Irene beats the east coast with high winds and heavy rains, it makes you think about the precious belongings you would lose if an unexpected storm ripped through your neighborhood. Do you happen to have a home inventory of your belongings tucked safely away? A simple home inventory can be kept in a notebook with all your belongings listed out.
The benefits to having a room-by-room record of your possessions:
- Acquire the proper amount of insurance coverage to protect everything you own – save you money if you are currently paying too much!
- Have insurance claims settled easier and faster
- Validate any losses for tax purposes
Tips for managing a home inventory:
- Try to keep receipts of items as you buy them. Note the cost, when it was purchased, and other information such as make and model.
- Some expensive items like jewelry or artwork must be insured separately than regular household items. Check with an insurance agent about these items.
- Keep a copy of your inventory electronically on a flash drive or disk outside of your home – either with a trusted friend or family member or in a safe deposit box.
- Remember to update the list when you make a purchase while the details are still fresh in your mind.
- Take photographs of possessions to store with your inventory – either printed or electronically.
- Videotape the contents of your home or apartment and narrate what you are filming as you go.
- Organize by room, category, or value. For items that you have a large quantity of, such as books or CDs, put down an approximation of how many you have and estimated dollar value.
To make the whole process easier, the Insurance Information Institute offers the free Know Your Stuff® home inventory software at KNOWYOURSTUFF.org with secure online storage that allows you to record your inventory in case of a disaster or burglary. It’s as simple as walking through your home taking pictures with your digital camera or videotaping the contents while describing them, then uploading this information onto the website. With the click of a mouse, you can update your inventory as you buy or sell personal possessions.
Knowing the value of your possessions can also prove useful in the event of a damage claim with your moving company if you opt for Enhanced Coverage during your relocation. It never hurts to be prepared, so that those who serve you can serve you better! We would love to serve you with all your residential moving needs! If you are moving in the Kansas City or Lee’s Summit area, just call 816-389-8706 and we can help!