Darcy Munzer, owner of Organize4U, has provided professional organizing services for clients in the Kansas City area since January 2006. She is a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers as well as the Kansas City Professional Organizers. She is based out of Independence, MO and can be reached at 816-797-7009 and firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out her website. We asked Darcy if we could share her holiday organizing ideas and holiday shopping tips! Do you need organizing? Call Darcy!
We asked our friend Darcy to share some holiday organizing ideas with us to help you get through the season:
- Send holiday invitations early and respond quickly if you are a guest. Offer to bring something to dinner.
- Check your linens, plates and silverware. Borrow tables or items as needed from friends or family.
- Write all events on your calendar. This is an important part of holiday organizing. If you have a favorite event you like to attend and don’t know the date or time; just call the venue – they will give you the information you need.
- Cook and freeze meals in advance to save time during these next few busy weeks. Bake and freeze holiday goodies as you have time.
- Discuss New Year’s plans and make reservations for dinner or a babysitter now. Don’t wait!
- Arrange for carpet cleaning early.
- Don’t be a hero – ask for help if you need it. Trade services with a talented friend to get things done.
- Decide what works best for your family and don’t be afraid to say “no” to errands, invitations or extra activities. You won’t enjoy yourself if you are exhausted.
- Don’t forget those that are alone – invite them to your dinner or out for a meal during the holiday season.
She also shared 9 valuable holiday shopping tips to make the most of your budget and time:
- Plan for menus and events early. Check your supplies, pantry, freezer, ingredients, gift closet etc. before you shop. Know what you have and don’t buy items you don’t need. Check sales ads and make a list before you go.
- While holiday shopping, purchase items NOW while selections are plenty – before stores get crowded.
- Do your holiday shopping during off times – very early, very late, and during the week.
- Stock up on items like paper towels, cat litter, hair spray and stay out of stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Holiday stamps are on sale now. Buy stamps online to keep from standing in line at the post office.
- Check Black Friday ads online. There are a number of web sites that will post Black Friday ads in advance. Shop online from the comfort of your home.
- When you see a gift for someone – buy it NOW. Don’t think “Oh, I’ll find something better later.”
- Purchase practical over joke gifts. Don’t make your 2012 holiday gift next year’s garage sale item. Remember the battery operated singing fish?
- Purchase events rather than things for gifts; tickets to a play or gift card for dinner instead of another sweater or bottle of cologne.