Thinking about remodeling? Here are some tips to have the the best experience before, during, and after your remodeling project by choosing the best remodeling contractor to work with.
Prior to Starting Your Remodeling Project
- Develop an idea of what you want to do. Write a prioritized list of your needs and wants. Look at magazines, websites, and collect pictures of what you like. The more clearly you can envision the project, the easier it will be to convey a clear image of your project to a remodeling contractor.
- Figure out how much money you have to spend on the remodeling project. If necessary, talk to lenders.
- A remodeling project can turn your home and sometimes your life upside-down due to disrupted routines and the mess and workmen being in your space at 8:00am!
- Seek referrals from local trade associations like NARI, friends, family, coworkers, or others who have had a remodeling project done.
- Ask independent trade contractors, architects, local lenders and insurance professionals who often work with and refer contractors.
- Check with your city or county office of remodeling contractor licensing. Ask if the remodeling contractor has had had any complaints about them and if so, were they resolved satisfactorily? Verify that the remodeling contractor has the appropriate licenses and registrations.
Your Personality and Theirs
- It is important that the remodeling contractor you hire is someone with whom you are comfortable. Personalities matter when it comes to people being in your home. You need to be able to trust them on several levels.
- Are they someone you would feel comfortable having in your home?
- Do their communication and listening skills meet your needs?
- Do you like them?
Things to Remember
- Never pay for the entire remodeling project in advance. The usual amount given up front should range from 1/3 to 1/2 of the total amount.
- If the remodeling contractor will not supply references – MOVE ON!
- If the references supplied say they were not happy with the work – ASK WHY!
- Do not hire someone whose credentials you cannot confirm.
- Do not hire someone with whom you do not feel comfortable – Trust Your Intuition!
Christine Snyder, the President of Snyder Homes Remodeling LLC, shared these practical home remodeling tips. Snyder Homes Remodeling is located in Shawnee, Kansas and is a local, family-owned company. They have served the Kansas City area with many successful home remodeling projects for the past 12 years. Snyder Homes Remodeling specializes in basement, bathroom, and kitchen remodeling projects. Contact Christine to help with your next remodeling project! She can reached at 913-248-8945 or email@example.com.
And if you need a professional mover to clear out your living space for the duration of the remodel, be sure to call Great Day Moving!