Well, there it is. Looming on the horizon: your upcoming move. Not only is it taunting you with never-ending checklists, but it seems that around every corner you hear it: cha -CHING!
Moving isn’t always the most pocket-friendly undertaking. Most of us just resign to “This is going to cost me an arm & a leg” and bite the proverbial bullet. But while moving can be an expense, does it have to be so daunting?
Aside from hiring an amazing, capable moving company (hint, hint), there are other things you can do to bring you some extra money and offset the cost of your move. One of the biggest aspects of moving is the unavoidable clearing out of “stuff”. Half of the headache isn’t so much “Do I need this?”, it’s “What the heck do I do with it now?”
If you’re like most, you get those heavy duty trash bags and start the diligent dump of everything that isn’t bolted to the floor. Now, we’re all for you not being featured on the next season of Hoarders, but while you mass purge, may we suggest a separate pile for the following?
- Tablets/Computers – Some of you techies out there are probably familiar with Gazelle, but if you’re not, allow us to introduce you. Gazelle will take your used/damaged tablets, computers and other electronic products and pay you cash. There’s a little shipping involved, but it’s worth it — and legit!
- Cell phones – Techie or not, you likely have a stash of old dinosaur phones somewhere in your home. If you haven’t heard of it already, you have to give ecoATM a try! They provide local kiosks in your neighborhood that will scan your phone and give you an offer in cash — on the spot. You can decline any offer — or take the money and run.
- Clothing/Accessories – thredUP is “an online thrift shop that buys and sells high-quality secondhand clothes.” They take gently used items, resell them online, and send you a portion of the proceeds. Reduce, reuse, and reap some cash. How “green” can you get?
- CDs/DVDs/Games – ‘Member that Vanilla Ice CD you’ve been cherishing since 1997? “Alright, stop. Collaborate and listen.” But in this case, seriously. And check out decluttr.com whose motto is, “Make room, make money.” In other words, get paid to purge. Word 2 Decluttr.
- Garage sale & Donation – When all else fails (or if you’re just in a huge hurry), go the garage sale / donation route. Just put it all out there – literally – and take what you can get. The rest, you schlep to your favorite charity and write it all off come tax time.
Your move should make CENTS.