The chilly weather has finally found us in the Midwest. But at least we made it to December before it really showed up! Hey, we haven’t even seen the white stuff yet! Why not warm yourself and your family tonight with this delicious and healthy homemade chicken soup. We love it and we think you will too. It is the perfect cold weather chicken soup and healthy to boot! It is filled with fiber, protein and lots of delicious flavor.
Perfect Cold Weather Chicken Soup
Here’s what you need…
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium organic yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp all-purpose seasoning OR 1 Tbsp curry powder (if you can handle it)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups diced roasted chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 organic apple, chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
***OPTIONAL: For thicker soup, add 8 oz cooked pasta before serving. Cook separately in broth.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt the coconut oil and add the onion, carrots and celery. After 5 minutes add the garlic and curry powder/spices.
- After a couple minutes add the chicken broth, chicken, bay leaf, apple, pepper, thyme, and lemon zest. Stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, and some salt and pepper if desired, remove the bay leaf and serve.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 166 calories, 5g fat, 175mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 19g protein
***Adapted from www.trainingwithjennifer.com